Simvastatin - Zocor
ZOCOR is an HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor (statin) indicated as an adjunctive therapy to diet to:
• Reduce the risk of total mortality by reducing CHD deaths and reduce the risk of non-fatal myocardial infarction, stroke, and the need for revascularization procedures in patients at high risk of coronary events.
• Reduce elevated total-C, LDL-C, Apo B, TG and increase HDL-C in patients with primary hyperlipidemia (heterozygous familial and nonfamilial) and mixed dyslipidemia.
• Reduce elevated TG in patients with hypertriglyceridemia and reduce TG and VLDL-C in patients with primary dysbeta-lipoproteinemia.
• Reduce total-C and LDL-C in adult patients with homozygous familial hypercholesterolemia.
• Reduce elevated total-C, LDL-C, and Apo B in boys and postmenarchal girls, 10 to 17 years of age with heterozygous familial hypercholesterolemia after failing an adequate trial of diet therapy.
Limitations of Use
ZOCOR has not been studied in Fredrickson Types I and V dyslipidemias.